Tuesday, February 3, 2009

MMPR Megazord and Dragonzord

I have an interesting set to share with you guys... The original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!!! I have here Megazord and Dragonzord. I know next to nothing about these guys, but I know that these toys have a place in history for being the very first sentai show from Japan adopted for the American viewers as the Power Rangers. Since then, every sentai show that followed were adopted for the US market. Megazord here is the very first "megazord".
I got these yesterday, i paid a guy $65 for both sets. I know the boxes are pretty banged up, but considering that these are more than 15 years old, I didn't mind, especially, when I searched for these on Ebay, the prices can get very high for a boxed set. And these are great. Inspected the manuals for both sets, and they are complete. Not one piece is missing. The most common pieces missing in the Megazord sets I have seen at Ebay are the mammoth's tusks and trunk, and the pteradactyl's guns. They are all here, even the little red ranger.

Dragonzord is like wise complete, and the electronics work. It has all the pieces to make the "power lazer drill" (yes, it's spelled with a 'z'). The Green Ranger even has his gun.


I remember seeing this tank mode. It's very easy to assemble, all parts lock in, except, it's not very sturdy. I mean, I have other "megazords" from the newer Poer Ranger series, and some of them beats the original in presence, playability, heft, sturdiness, stability, and overall kewlness factor. This toy is OK. Very nice, and fun, but other "reviewers" at youtube do tend to exaggerate relevance of this toy.



Although i do understand that some of them tend to look at this with "rosey colored glasses", and they just accentuate the positives. Do not get me wrong, I do like it. Except, I was expecting the best of the very best, but what I got is just "acceptable". It's nice. But, Magiking/Titan Megazord beat this is every way. The Japanese Ultimate Daibouken/Ultra Drive Max Megazord beats this in handily. Even considering that this is ancient by comparison is no excuse. The Bandai Godaikin line are older by far, but those were some of the very best combining robot toys, short of the current Soul of Chogokin.




Dragonzord has a certain appeal. I like it. Once you put on his "belly", he is one solid toy. I like the colors silver, green and black, and they contrast well with the traditional colors of the Megazord.
The Dragonzord do combine with the Megazord, but I do not want to combine them, because, i dunno, I kinda like them separate.





Both look awesome next to each other.
Final thoughts, I like the sets, but I like the newer zords more. I never followed any Power Rangers series, except Wild Force (I have a complete set of Japanese Gaorangers toys, I will post them soon). I recently got into Magirangers and Boukengers, that is largely the reason why i am backtracking on some sentai robots. So, when I found the very first Power Ranger zords being sold for such a very reasonable price, I couldn't say no.






The zords look awesome when they are in this formation.







Green Power Ranger: Hello everybody. My name is Tommy. I joined the Power Rangers to hit on Kimberly.








Red Ranger: Hey kids, Jason here. You can check out my Wikipedia entry, just ignore the picture, that is not me, that is actually Bulk.









3 comments:

  1. The tank mode would be better if you transformed it properly. The buttons on the Tyrannosaurus' hips let its lower legs move forward a bit more to let its torso lean in

    We like this because we like the animals, the overall aesthetic (especially in the Megazord's battle mode), and the feel and durability. The Dinozords feel solid in our hands, They're a reasonably balanced team too, with each individual Zord looking cool and having things it can do on its own. The newer Megazords don't have the same majesty as this one either, and some (like the Ultra DriveMax Megazord you mentioned, or Samurai HaOh) look to us like piled-on mish-mashes of everything but the kitchen sink. This is a straightforward sword-wielding warrior, knight-like in appearance, which to us is awesome. Comparing Zords to the Godaikin line isn't fair, because that was a different design school, and it was aimed at a different audience with more money.

    Also, why do you list the Green Ranger having a gun as a strong point? He's not supposed to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know where to buy these two online. Power Rangers Mighty Morphin was my entire childhood. I also like Power Rangers Wild Force.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be completion of mine day, with the exception of before end I am understanding this huge passage to enhance my insight.
    programowanie robotów

    ReplyDelete