Wednesday, January 14, 2009

DARTH VADER Gentle Giant Statue

Oh boy, have I got a good one for you guys. This is one of my favorites.


This is the 1/6 Gentle Giant statue of the Revenge of the Sith version of Darth Vader. It was extremely in-demand when it first came out, and stocks were snapped up immediately. I was lucky to get one.
As statues go, this is awesome. Probably the best redition of Darth Vader I currently own (and I do own quite a bit). But of course, we can always wait for Sideshow to produce a 1/6 figure of the dark lord of the Sith here, and everything is fair game.





What can I say more about this? Well, apart from the fact that it is a wonderfully sculpted figure, not much else. That is my problem with statues. I mean, it can be boring. I only buy statues of my favorite characters, and i make it a point to just get one of each character. I just pick the best statue of a particular character (some characters do have quite a number of statues out, which makes it repetitive, its not like they can add articulation or something), and just get that. There is no need to get the 100th Spidey statue, since all they do is just stand there and look pretty.

Anyway, even if, by statue standards, this particular item is not so limited (this is numbered 884/7500), Darth Vader is always a fan favorite, and since Star Wars fans have the propensity to collect anything in the market, this item proved to be very hot. I had to pay $300 for it, OK, I know, it was overpriced, but I only found it in one store, and I DO NOT TRUST sellers from ebay (was burned pretty bad before), so, I just bit the bullet and just paid what the seller was asking.
Incidentally, I will share what one friend of mine told me: "some ebay sellers buy damaged statues for almost nothing, fix it (which is easy), repaint over the damaged part, and sell the item at full price". That is why only get statues from reputable shops.
But regardless of how I feel about statue collecting, I do understand its appeal to collectors. Statues are limited, looks great, and it gives the owner a sense of satisfaction owning a rare piece.
As for the Darth Vader statue by Gentle Giant, I highly recommend it for Star Wars/Darth Vader and statue fans.



No comments:

Post a Comment